Wednesday, February 25, 2009

You get fish to look at them, and all they do....

There is a strange thing that happens when you own fish... you start to notice some odd behavior. I´ve had goldfish for years now, and they never cease to amaze me. At first you bring home your new fish is a plastic bag, pour it in your tank and watch for the magic to begin. Trust me, nothing is going to happen. They might make a zig-zag across the tank, but after that it´s floating dully somewhere in the back. Don´t worry, their just waiting for you to stop looking.

I don´t know how many hours I spent watching them, it´s fascinating to watch them swim or eat or just ´be´. But you´ll know you´ve had fish too long, when you catch them look at you.

That´s right, my little goldfish are quietly stalking me as I move around the house.

One day I was carrying something into the kitchen and a gold flash caught my eye. I turn to face the tank and my fish were just sitting there as normal. I put my things in the kitchen, came back out and I saw it again. I turned to face them, and now they were at the other side of the tank, just staring blankly at me. Was I losing my mind? Nope. The goldfish were following me across their tank, everytime I walked by. Oh look! Here comes the human, where´s the food! (At least that´s what I imagine they were thinking).

Not only do I have several dozen fishy eyes on my whenever I move around the house, I also have the distinct impression that they are completed bored. Next thing you know they´ll be knocking on their side of the glass to get me to move around more!

No comments:

Post a Comment